Intermediate | 25 min
When it comes to knitting in the round, there are lots of ways to get the job done. Joy Macdonell teaches all of the essentials, including how to work with circular needles, double-pointed needles and with the Magic Loop method (to name a few). She demonstrates all of these techniques on two different knitted hats—a slouchy beanie with I-cord accents, and a pompom hat with I-cord edging—both of which are ideal for putting all of these techniques to use.
Learn how to:
- Cast on with circular needles
- Work in the round with circular needles, double-pointed needles, two circular needles and with Magic Loop
- Decrease stitches
- Finish a hat with I-Cord
- Start a hat with I-Cord
- Add a basting stitch
- Join with Kitchener stitch
- Make a pompom
- Learn circular knitting by making two different knitted hats
- 6 HD video lessons you can access online anytime, anywhere
- Detailed supplies list
- Step-by-step expert instruction from Joy Macdonell
- The ability to leave comments, ask questions, and interact with other students
Here’s what you’ll need:For the Slouchy Hat with I-Cord Knot:
- Size 8 [5 mm] double point needles
- Size 8 [5mm] 16" [40.5 cm] circular needle or sizes needed to obtain gauge. NOTE: A Size 8 36" [91.5 cm] circular needle may be substituted for the double point and 16" circular needles if the Magic Loop method of knitting in the round is used.
- #4 Worsted Weight Yarn: 210 yards (we used: Patons® (100% Pure Wool, 3.5 oz/100 g, 210 yd/192 m), Mercury — 1 skein)
- Yarn needle
- Stitch marker
- For the Beanie with I-Cord Brim:
- Size 13 [9 mm] double point needles
- Size 11 [8 mm] 16” [40.5] circular needle
- Size 11 [8 mm] double point needles or sizes needed to obtain gauge. NOTE - A Size 11 36" [91.5 cm] circular needle may be substituted for the Size 11 double point and 16" circular needles if the Magic Loop method of knitting in the round is used.
- #6 Super Bulky Weight Yarn: 106 yards (we used: Lion Brand® Wool-Ease® Thick & Quick® Yarn (80% Acrylic, 20% Wool, 6 oz/170 g, 106 yd/97 m), Fig — 1 skein)
- Tapestry Needle
- Stitch marker
- Waste yarn
- Boye® Pompom Maker or 4" [10 cm] x 3" [7.5 cm] piece of cardboard
Browse members' projects from this class, add them to your Favorites, and share your own work!
Your timecode tags and notes for this section
View More Comments
Who's Recently Taken This Class
Meet other Creativebug crafters who have recently taken this class.