All levels | 21 min 34 sec
If you're new to knitting, there's no better place to start than a garter stitch hat project. Worked as a flat piece in knit stitch (no purls required!) and seamed up at the end, this color-blocked hat is gender-neutral and anything but boring. You'll learn how to make a gauge swatch, cast on and bind off, change colors and seam – all in one little hat! Creativebug’s resident knitter, Faith Hale, designed this technique-packed cap to be worked on straight needles, making it easy for the beginner knitter. Keep the look of this hat graphic with two colors, or keep it simple with one bold solid. Either way, it looks great on both men and women, and is a quick-to-knit handmade gift.
Looking for another great garter stitch project? Learn how to make the Easiest Garter Stitch Slippers.Learn how to:
What you’ll get:
Looking for another great garter stitch project? Learn how to make the Easiest Garter Stitch Slippers.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 ball Red Heart Chic Sheep by Marly Bird in main color (platinum); 1 ball in contrast color (poolside)
- Size US 8 knitting needles (or size needed to obtain gauge)
- Yarn needle
- 10 split stitch markers
- Pattern PDF
- Cast on and bind off
- Make and measure a gauge swatch
- Work garter stitch
- Decrease using a knit 2 together (K2tog)
- Read a knitting pattern
What you’ll get:
- An easy-to-follow class on how to knit an easy garter stitch hat
- 5 HD video lessons you can access online anytime, anywhere
- Detailed supply list and downloadable pattern PDF
- Step-by-step instruction by expert instructor Faith Hale
- The ability to leave comments, ask questions and interact with other students
Browse members' projects from this class and share your own work! Learn how to take great photos here.
Your timecode tags and notes for this section
Easiest Garter Stitch Hat Reviews
212 users recommended this class to a friend
I like that she explained the mattress stitch with the sewing in the ends. I've been using my whip stitch which does not look so great, Looks like a great, simple pattern. I'll look forward to starting it!
July 13, 2023