All levels | 38 min 22 sec
Drawstring bags are a charming way to present a gift, and they couldn't be easier to make. Ashley Nickels adds a twist to this beginner sewing project by showing you how to finish the inside with French seams, and instead of twine or rope, she shows how to use selvedge trim to create your own drawstring. This customizable bag can be sewn in any size desired.
Learn how to:
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 or 2 fat quarters or 2 matching rectangles of fabric (1 fat quarter makes a 10" x 12" bag; 2 fat quarters makes a 14 ½” x 17 ½” bag)
- Cutting mat
- Rotary cutter
- Ribbon or 1 ½” selvedge strip that is cut lengthwise to double the width of your bag, plus 4 inches (if using for drawstring)
- Loop turner (or you can attach a safety pin to the drawstring to thread through bag)
- Iron and ironing surface
- Sewing machine with presser foot
- Coordinating thread
- Trim selvedge for drawstrings
- Construct a bag with French seams
- Make drawstrings out of fabric
- Insert drawstrings using a loop turner
- Finish drawstring ends with a handmade "end pull"
- Step-by-step expert instruction on sewing a drawstring bag in any size
- 5 HD video lessons you can access online anytime, anywhere
- Detailed supplies list
- The ability to leave comments, ask questions, and interact with other students
Browse members' projects from this class and share your own work! Learn how to take great photos here.
Your timecode tags and notes for this section
Sewing Drawstring Bags Reviews
808 users recommended this class to a friend
I loved this video! I can't wait to make my own drawstring bags now, it looks so fun to make!
August 15, 2023