All levels | 7 min 27 sec
Modern quilter and designer, Heather Jones, shares how easy it can be to transform visual inspiration into patchwork goodness. In this class, learn how to construct a bold and contemporary quilt block that pays homage to her favorite artist, Josef Albers, and his series of paintings titled “Homage to the Square.” This crisp design and easy construction allows for creative freedom, so you can scale your block to a different size, or have fun playing with unexpected color combinations.
Unfinished block will be a 7 ½” x 7 ½” square
Finished block will be a 7” x 7” square
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Three fat quarters of quilting cotton - Heather uses three solid colors in an analogous color family cut into the following dimensions:
- First color (light blue): One 3 ½” x 3 ½” square
- Second color (dark blue): Two 1 ½” x 3 ½” strips, and one 2 ½” x 5 ½” strip
- Third color (lavender): Two 1 ½” x 5 ½” strips and one 2 ½” x 7 ½” strip
- Sewing machine
- Neutral thread
- Ironing surface
- Precut fat quarters into specific dimensions
- Sew precuts together to create a modern quilt block
- Step-by-step expert instruction from Heather Jones on Josef Albers block
- A quick video lesson you can access online anytime, anywhere
- Detailed supplies list
- The ability to leave comments, ask questions, and interact with other students
Browse members' projects from this class and share your own work! Learn how to take great photos here.
Your timecode tags and notes for this section
Homage to Josef Albers Block Reviews
207 users recommended this class to a friend
I would recommend this class. She explains everything in great detail, perfect for a beginner like me.
Great class, can you give some pointers to a beginner on some examples of scaling the block up measurements?
July 13, 2023