Intermediate | 1 hour 10 min
If you have experience crocheting, you know that crocheted fabric stretches more lengthwise than vertically The sideways construction of this ribbed sock takes advantage of that aspect for a stretchy and extra comfortable fit. Instructor Cal Patch is a clothing designer and author, and she demonstrates how her modular sock design can magically turn rectangular panels into a perfectly fitting sock. Begin with crocheting the body of the sock in ribbed rows, then work a heel in short rows, and finish with the toe in the round and a ribbed cuff. Cal teaches you how to properly measure your foot and where to adjust your crochet stitches for a sock that is unique to you. You can use any weight of yarn depending on the thickness of the fabric you prefer. There are so many fun yarn and color combinations to explore that once you crochet one sock, you won't want to stop.Learn how to:
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Yarn - Cal uses about 300 yards total of high-twist, worsted-weight wool yarn in three different colors and an E/3.5mm hook, which is a good place to start for first-time sock makers. You can also use a sock weight or fingering weight yarn for a thinner sock.
- Stitch markers or scrap yarn
- Tapestry needle
- Measuring tape
- Crochet a sock with a ribbed stitch and modular construction
- Crochet in rows and in rounds
- Work in single crochet, half double crochet, foundation half double crochet, and in the back loop
- Measure your foot for a custom fit sock
- Join new yarn colors
- Construct a heel with short rows
Browse members' projects from this class and share your own work! Learn how to take great photos here.
Your timecode tags and notes for this section
Crochet Ribbed Socks Reviews
11 users recommended this class to a friend
ready to make my own socks or as gifts great class love the heel introduction lol
September 11, 2023
Cal is so easy to learn from and listen to! She offers instruction as well as tips while she works and makes the process look simple - like I can do it, too!
September 6, 2023