Color fanatics and hand-stitching aficionados will find a lot to love in Tara Faughnan's “Big Stitch” quilting class. Tara shares her techniques for picking harmonious fabric colors to sew a high-contrast bar quilt, then shows how to quilt by hand with a dazzling array of threads. The final product is a richly layered piece that can be used for a mini-quilt or pillow top – or you can go big and apply this technique to a full-size quilt. The process is playful and inspiring, suitable for both first-time quilters and more advanced stitchers.Learn how to:
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Cotton quilting fabric – scraps in 10-25 solid colors
- 24” x 24" piece of backing fabric
- 24” x 24" piece of batting
- Rotary cutter
- Marking pencils
- Seam ripper
- Assortment of threads
- Assortment of hand-sewing needles
- Small sharp scissors
- Needle threader (optional)
- Clear gridded quilting rulers (one big, one small)
- Cutting mat
- Iron and ironing surface
- Sewing machine
- Artist's tape, painter's tape or masking tape
- Finished Size: 20” x 20” for Mini-Quilt
- Sew a “bar” quilt top
- Match fabric and thread colors
- Hand quilt using cotton, pearl and metallic threads
- A master class on hand-quilting with big, colorful stitches.
- 5 HD video lessons you can access online anytime, anywhere
- Detailed supplies list
- Step-by-step expert instruction from Tara Faughnan
- The ability to leave comments, ask questions, and interact with other students
Browse members' projects from this class and share your own work! Learn how to take great photos here.
View More Comments
Your timecode tags and notes for this section
698 users recommended this class to a friend
She's given me the knowledge and the courage to quilt Big Stitch on my own.
The different threads, types and weights to needle types and sizes was particularly useful for me personally. Now I would like to see more advanced style of stitches and marking styles and techniques in a future class. Thank you.
October 15, 2022