Intermediate | 18 min 30 sec
Learn how to doodle with thread to customize and embellish your clothing and home decor. The creative minds behind Improv Sewing will teach you how to make adjustments to your sewing machine and stabilize fabric so you can create different effects on material, including how to draw outlines and make your stitching more bold. This workshop will have you seeing unadorned fabric as a new canvas for whatever motifs you dream up.
Learn how to:
Here’s what you’ll need:Materials:
- sewing machine
- high-contrast printed image
- Adjusting sewing machine presser for freehand sewing
- Creating different effects with thread on fabric
- Doodling and scribbling freehand machine embroidery
- Transferring a design to fabric
- An easy-to-follow lesson on how to draw with thread
- 5 HD video lessons you can access online anytime, anywhere
- Detailed supply list
- Step-by-step instruction by the expert instructors of Improv Sewing
- The ability to leave comments, ask questions and interact with other students
Browse members' projects from this class and share your own work! Learn how to take great photos here.
Your timecode tags and notes for this section
Drawing with Thread Reviews
268 users recommended this class to a friend
Amending my previous review: After consulting my sewing machine manual, my very basic machine does not have the ability to lower the feed dog / presser foot tension, a requirement for using this technique. So be aware that machines vary and yours may or may not be able to do this. :/
January 19, 2024
I loved this class. I have so much trouble with free motion embroidery. No-one has ever talked about the pressure adjustments for the foot! I am excited to try this.
December 15, 2023
Mostly great, but the "other examples" video does not show the other examples very well.
More than 3 months ago