All levels | 56 min 12 sec
In this fun and improvisational course, artist Jennifer Mercede shows you how to make expressive, exciting animal portraits in her signature style. Self proclaimed fan of “scribbling, doodling, being silly and expressive” Jennifer walks you through how to pick the ideal pet portrait and using blind contour drawing to free you from the restrictions of perfection. You’ll learn how to intuitively pick colors and use lettering and playful mark-making to add textural depth to your portrait.Learn how to:
What you'll get:
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Sketchbook paper
- 10x10” birch panel
- Ballpoint pen
- Acrylic paints
- Colored pencils
- Watercolor crayons (optional)
- Select an ideal photograph for replicating
- Abstract an image through blind contour
- Use decorative mark-making to enhance a portrait
- Use doodling to add detail and dimension to your work
- Paint and draw on a wood panel
What you'll get:
- Detailed lesson how to draw and paint an animal portrait
- 4 HD video lessons you can access online anytime, anywhere
- Detailed supplies list
- Step-by-step expert instruction from Jennifer Mercede
- The ability to leave comments, ask questions, and interact with other students
Browse members' projects from this class and share your own work! Learn how to take great photos here.
Your timecode tags and notes for this section
528 users recommended this class to a friend
A delightful relaxed approach to capturing the energy of animals! Loved it. It was a lot less pressure to get something perfect and really let me capture to essence of my pet.
January 30, 2023
Fun, easy to follow instructions, plus I think it was easy to add in your own personal style. Great for letting go as the final piece is more stylized.
January 17, 2023
Jennifer is a great instructor ... she explains everything do clearly and encourages you to loosen up and have fun.
More than 3 months ago