Darts are practical elements of patternmaking that ensure a good fit. In this workshop, Liesl moves beyond the utilitarian and into the creative – showing you how to manipulate the placement of darts to customize your sewing. You’ll learn how to shift a typical bust dart to the neckline or waist, all without sacrificing fit. Along the way, Liesl provides tips for accurate marking and precise sewing. Once you learn the basics of dart manipulation, you’ll be able to sew more custom and creative garments.
Learn how to:
What you’ll get:
Here’s what you’ll need:Materials:
- Pattern with darts (Liesl uses Simplicity 2209, Liesette Passport Dress)
- large piece of pattern paper
- paper scissors
- Custom fitting a commercial pattern
- Dart placement options
- Marking the dart using the pin method
- Sewing a perfect dart
What you’ll get:
- An easy-to-follow lesson on dart manipulation
- 5 HD video lessons you can access online anytime, anywhere
- Detailed supply list
- Step-by-step expert instruction by artist by Liesl Gibson
- The ability to leave comments, ask questions, and interact with other students
Browse members' projects from this class and share your own work! Learn how to take great photos here.
View More Comments
Your timecode tags and notes for this section
317 users recommended this class to a friend
Excellent!!! I never realized it could be that easy! Knowing the details and options, it opens up a whole new world! So clear and easy to listen to and follow. Thank you so much!
October 7, 2022
I liked this class as a basic overview. The explanation was good and clear. I would love a longer, more in depth class with more examples of the possible darts, pleats and gathers both on paper and in actual garments.
More than 3 months ago