Advanced | 4 hours 6 min
Are you ready to take the leap into becoming a professional artist? In this four-hour long course, author, artist and educator, Lisa Solomon, teaches you how to present yourself as an artist in the world. Commonly referred to as a “Professional Practices” college-level course, Lisa shares her decades of practical know-how in 15 bite-sized lessons. These classes will help you learn how to create your portfolio, make connections, exhibit, apply for shows, attend residencies, copyright your work, market yourself and so much more. Lisa tells it like is it with cautionary tales from the art and gallery world as well as inspiring stories from her own experience. The accompanying 80-page downloadable PDF is full of rich resources to set you on your path, including helpful samples and web references.
This class is not only a starting point for anyone who is ready to call themselves an artist, but also for working artists who could use some structure and guidance in growing their practice. By the end of this series, you will learn how to take yourself more seriously and see your business dreams come to life.Learn how to:
What you'll get:
This class is not only a starting point for anyone who is ready to call themselves an artist, but also for working artists who could use some structure and guidance in growing their practice. By the end of this series, you will learn how to take yourself more seriously and see your business dreams come to life.
- Create a CV
- Write an artist statement
- Do your taxes
- Set up a business as an artist
- Apply for grad school, residencies, and shows
- Create a portfolio
- Create a studio space
- Balance life and work
- Frame and install work
- Survive and thrive with failure
- Use social media
- Understand copyright laws
What you'll get:
- A thorough primer on how to launch your professional art career, typically only available as a college-level "Professional Practices" course.
- 15 HD video lessons you can access online anytime, anywhere
- An 80-page PDF course hand-out, with samples and copious web references
- Step-by-step expert instruction from author, artist and educator, Lisa Solomon
- The ability to leave comments, ask questions, and interact with other students
Browse members' projects from this class and share your own work! Learn how to take great photos here.
Your timecode tags and notes for this section
So You Want to Be a Professional Artist? A 15-Day Guide to Professional Practices Reviews
166 users recommended this class to a friend
I thought the information was concise and well presented. Oh, and relevant. But what I liked most of all was the generosity that Lisa exhibited and the hope she seemed to have for me. I'll work on closing the gap she mentioned in the last chapter.
January 24, 2024