Beginner | 1 hour 3 min
Be inspired by images of the outdoors or pull from your own travel photography in this landscape painting class, taught by artist Kristy Rice. Learn how to visually break down a landscape into three separate planes and paint them using watercolor washes. Then, add detail and dimension with watercolor pens. Whether you’re an avid traveler or love to paint from reference, Kristy demonstrates how to infuse your brushstrokes with emotion in order to capture the feeling of a place.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Canson XL Watercolor Paper
- ¼” dagger brush; Kristy uses the Royal and Langnickel Mini Majestic
- Assortment of watercolor paints; Kristy uses Kuretake Gansai Tanbi 48 Color Set
- Butcher tray or other non-porous surface to mix paints
- Kuretake Clean Color Real Brush Watercolour Brush Pens (Set Of 48 Colours)
- Two cups of water
- Paper towel
- Reference images
- Select an ideal photograph for painting
- Separate a landscape into visual planes
- Use watercolor to paint a nature scene
- Use watercolor pens to add detail
What you'll get:
- Easy-to-follow video lessons on how to make a watercolor landscape painting using a photographic reference
- 4 HD video lessons you can access online anytime, anywhere
- Detailed supply list
- Step-by-step instructions by artist Kristy Rice
- The ability to leave comments, ask questions and interact with other students
Browse members' projects from this class and share your own work! Learn how to take great photos here.
Your timecode tags and notes for this section
193 users recommended this class to a friend
This is a nice beginner class, showing different techniques and use of the watercolor pens. For me personally seeing how little color was needed to make beautiful skies was helpful.
January 6, 2023
This is a great class! Such a talented instructor and now I can't wait to go out and buy some watercolor brush pens! Thanks Kristy!
More than 3 months ago