All levels | 27 min 11 sec
Create a gorgeous leather-bound traveler’s journal to take on all of your adventures. Perfect for drawing, sketching or writing, this easily customizable notebook is simple to construct and sturdy enough to take on travels. Bookbinder, Faith Hale, demonstrates how to create pamphlet-stitch booklets to insert in your notebook, and how to work with thick leather to create a durable cover. You’ll also learn how to add an elastic closure and give the leather cover a professional finish without the investment of leatherworking tools. Best of all, when you fill up your journal pages, you can easily add new booklets to your leather cover and keep on journaling.
Learn how to:
What you’ll get:
Here’s what you’ll need:Finished Size: 5” wide x 8 ¾” tall
- Heavyweight leather at least 9” x 10” (Faith uses a 2-3 oz-weight Vegetan leather)
- Paper at least 9” x 10” for template
- Fine and rough grit sandpaper
- Small paintbrush and water
- Bone folder
- Small leather punch and poly hammer
- 8 ½” wide x 8 ¼” tall text-weight paper (20 sheets will make 2 booklets)
- 8 ¾” wide x 8 ¼” tall cardstock paper (2 sheets for 2 booklets)
- Binding needle
- Tapestry needle
- Pin tool
- Binding thread or waxed linen thread
- 2 yards of 1/8” elastic cord
- Utility knife with fresh blade
- Quilting ruler or metal ruler
- Small scrap of canvas
- Cutting mat
- Needle-nose pliers (optional)
- Sew a five-hole pamphlet stitch booklet
- Make a leather journal cover
- Add an elastic closure
- Insert new booklets
What you’ll get:
- Instruction on how to make a leather bound travel journal with bookbinder, Faith Hale.
- 4 HD video lessons you can access online anytime, anywhere
- Detailed supplies list for easy shopping
- Step-by-step expert instruction from Faith Hale
- The ability to leave comments, ask questions, and interact with other students
Browse members' projects from this class and share your own work! Learn how to take great photos here.
Your timecode tags and notes for this section
653 users recommended this class to a friend
Faith has a wonderful teaching manner, clear instructions and demo! Can't wait to make it!
February 5, 2023
Exceptional teacher and literally the exact thing I wanted to make. I’m in heaven.
More than 3 months ago